As I mentioned in my post about my experience at Egg Slut, I am on a mission to figure out how to make the best egg sandwich at home. After I went to Egg Slut, I figured out the missing ingredient- avocado!
Cook and Prep time: 10 minutes
What You’ll Need:
1 or 2 eggs
1 Tbsp. of garlic olive oil (I use the Trader Joe’s version)
1 or ½ an avocado
2 slices of Gouda cheese
1 English muffin or roll (I like the Euro Classic Hamburger rolls)
Single Egg Pan
I like to start by prepping the bread, so that way once the egg is cooked I can just put it on the sandwich and it’s ready to eat. Here are the steps:
- Lay out both halves of the bread
- Slice up the avocado and put it on both sides of the bread, so the sandwich is balanced.
- Put the two slices of Gouda on top of the avocado- this way they melt once you put the freshly cooked egg between them!
Now that the rest of the sandwich is ready, then I start with the tasks related to cooking the egg(s). Here’s what I do:
- Put a little bit (about 1 Tbsp.) of the garlic olive oil in the single egg pan- I like to put enough that I know the egg won’t stick to the pan, but not too much where it will spit back out at me while hot.
- Crack the egg into the pan- I like to cook it sunny side up
- Once the egg whites look cooked, then I like to flip it
When you think, the egg is done, take it off the stove and quickly get it onto the prepared sandwich. Once you put both halves together, it will melt the cheese.
I hope that you enjoy my super easy and healthy egg sandwich recipe! Comment below with any recipes that you’ve created and feel like sharing 🙂
Honestly, I thought, “how hard is it to bake an egg in an avocado?!” One day, I fell into the deep abyss of Instagram looking at food I would want to cook. I stumbled upon a picture of an egg baked in an avocado. Immediately, I knew that this was the next dish I wanted to master. I found a recipe on All Recipes for egg baked in avocado. In the Instagram pictures, I stumbled upon, and the picture on All Recipes, it looked so effortless to make; however, this was not my experience.
The first time I tried to make it, I didn’t scoop out enough avocado and the egg part over flowed. Also, this happened because I didn’t balance the avocado, so I ended up folding up tin foil and wedging it under the avocado to keep it balanced.
The avocado over flowing problem also happened the second time I baked the egg in an avocado. This time it happened inside the oven, so I’m thinking the heat affected the baking pan and made it bend or something.
The third time was the charm. I got my avocados balanced and nothing over flowed. YAY!!!
IT FINALLY WORKED!
The lesson I learned from this cooking endeavor was that seeing things on Instagram and thinking that they’ll be perfect the first time you cook them isn’t true. You need to try something a few times, and learn all the hacks associated with cooking the meal.
Here’s the recipe from All Recipes for Baked Eggs in Avocado:
- 2 small eggs
- 1 avocado, halved and pitted
- Any seasoning you want to use
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Crack the eggs into a bowl, being careful to keep the yolks intact.
- Arrange avocado halves in a baking dish, resting them along the edge so avocado won’t tip over. Gently spoon 1 egg yolk into the avocado hole. Continue spooning egg white into the hole until full. Repeat with remaining egg yolk, egg white, and avocado. Season as you please.
- Gently place baking dish in the preheated oven and bake until eggs are cooked, about 15 minutes.
This is a super easy meal to cook (once you know the hacks for it), and it’s really healthy! Let me know some of your cooking tips below!
Happy Cooking 🙂